Saturday, March 14, 2009

"Suck, I Missed The Big One!!"

Ever time I am out fishing I hear the same fishing lingo. "Are they rising?", "What fly did you get him on?", "What a sweet take", etc... However there is one phrase that never gets left out of a day on the water. "Suck, I just missed the big one!!!" is a staple for all fly fishermen in the world, its meaning can make some mad, happy and others heart broken. But in some complex way it must feel good to say it, because we say it a lot. To admit to others that you had the chance to catch a big fish and you blew it. I guess we do it because in fly fishing half the battle is getting a fish to take and in this case a wise old fish. So when we shout out "Suck, I just missed the big one!!" we are really saying "That was awesome, I just tricked a big smart trout into finally eating my fly!" So today we had one of those days on the Provo where the famous phrase was very prevalent. Hancy and I met up to fish the Midge Hatch that we knew would be coming off at a certain location between 12-3 pm. Just like clock work the big pool turned from a fish rising here and there to a boiling pot of water. Right off the bat we were hooking into fish on small midge adults. The fish were a little picker today then last weeks, (maybe the bright clear day) but we both seemed to be content with the days results.

The fun thing about today's fishing was the way I would hunt/target a certain fish until it would fall victim to my fly or be put down. I would spot a large fish and key in on his feeding lane. I didn't want to waste any time with the smaller fishing rising all around. This technique proved true as I spotted a large brown trout sipping midges in the slow seem. After changing to smaller midges #26. I was able to hook and land the beautiful big spotted 19 inch brown.

On the other hand Hancy and I both shouted "Suck, I just missed the big one" about ever 10 mins, but none of them were worst then the hog brown that taught me a great lesson. I spotted the brown as its big dark back came out of the water to eat a cluster full of midges. I though that has to be over 20 for sure. After 30 or so casts to this over sized fish I decided to give it a break and try for some easier fish. After a nice 15 incher I was ready for another try at the brown that haunted me. As the flies landed I thought "NO, I casted to far", but to my surprise I saw a little halo in the water right where my emerger had landed, I jerked my rod back in hope of resistance...and like a lightening bolt of energy running through my body, I was in a fight up with my target. Right off the bat he took me deep and up stream to the safety of the big boulder. The fight only lasted for only 20 seconds leaving me on the bank flyless, shouting "Suck, I just missed the big one!!!"

No comments: