Sunday, April 12, 2009

In Search of a Blue Wing Olive


Late March and into April means one thing to me...Its BWO time and I better start my annual migration to "The Middle" of no where. I don't know why I act the way I do, it just happens like a goose flying 1000s of miles ever fall and back again in the spring. There is no where I would rather be than on a familiar stretch of trout water, as an rainy overcast sky invites 100s to 1000s of little olive bugs to start and fulfill their life's purpose. It is truly a magical time to be a fly fisherman. On this stormy cold April morning, I found myself fitting the pieces to the trout puzzle more than usual. Even though it is supposed to be the best fishing of the year it doesn't mean you will still catch a single fish. To be successful one must be one step ahead of the prey. For example: Today was a prefect bwo day, overcast, rainy, and just a little cold, but I didn't see a bug until 2pm. In the mean time when all 7 guys around me were using bwo dries to the rising trout. I was catching 99% of the fish in the area on tiny midges. It was fun to watch them all in amazement asking "What is the hell is he using, that is so good?" I just keep quit and landed, sipping brown after brown.
After I had fulfilled my taste for shallow sipping browns on light technical material, I switched locations in search of my days quest. As I walked the small stream I noticed the trout feeding was more war like, then I saw it, floating like a sailing ship in the Caribbean. It was my first BWO encounter of the season and I was stoked to find a pod of rising trout. After scanning a productive location I found just the spot and the fish were thick and shopping for a meal like it was their first of the year. After an hour of non-stop enjoyment, the rain and the dropping temps pushed me off the river shaking with only my light shirt on and back to my life. So if the BWO hatch is so great, why can only a handful of anglers on the river really enjoy its bounty it provides? I guess it all lye's in the eyes of the beholder...fish or not I will always love the bwo hatch no matter what, it is part of me and my culture.

No comments: