Monday, June 8, 2009

Over The Mountain...


Got an invite Fri night from my best friend to fish with him and his bro on one of their favorite close by small streams. After hearing that the water was running clear, I was in and just had to get the ok with the wife. When we got to the river early Sat it was running high and muddy...Suck!!! I hung out for the first 45 mins watching Scott wrestle a little Cutt and enjoying their company. As we moved higher up the canyon I almost threw the fishing aside (since I had my bike) to hit a Mtn bike trail I have on my hit list. As those guys stopped, I decided I would go ahead in search of clear water and hopefully some rising fish. My wondering lead me over a Mtn and down into a valley with a little fast running clear stream. After 1hr of teasing little cutts on big flies, I decided I better check back on the rest of the group. When I got back they were gone, so I decided to try the other fork and after doing a little 4X4, I found myself again over the mtn. in a familiar canyon I had fished when I was a kid. After cruising down the canyon, I noticed the creek was running clear and perfect. I stopped at a fishy hole and was rewarded with some feisty little browns. As I moved up the creek each hole held a surprising amount of fish for the size of the creek. I only made it about 100 yrds up the creek before I decided to call it a day and just hangout by the riverside enjoying the beautiful spring colors, bugs, birds and everything else that makes small mtn streams special. It was a good day...










No comments: