Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year And Some...

These these past few weeks have been pretty crazy, but not crazy enough to keep me from doing what I do best and that is enjoying the great outdoors. Work and the holidays have really cut into my consistent posts. I just accepted a new position and with training my replacement and being trained myself, I have had no time to even open the Internet or even think about it. But looking into the future, it is a small price to pay for a big payoff in the end and best of all more free time. So enough of that! Here is a recap of my last couple weeks.
Since the snow has been flying I have been hitting the Mtns as much as I could, taking advantage of the "greatest snow on earth". The wife and I once again got season passes to Sundance and it has become a second home for us these past few years. Snowboarding to me is an escape from the rules of life. Like fly fishing it gives me an escape from reality and during the time I'm on the mtn nothing else matters except for what is 5 feet in front of me. Its living in the moment at its finest. But the nice thing about snowboarding is that the worst the weather gets the better it is. So when most fly fishermen are complaing in about the long winter, I am smiling and waiting for the next big storm...But to explain my obsession I hit the mtn 6 times in the first week and a half of the season and since then been almost ever weekend.

With all this snowboarding, I have also made it a priority to keep myself balanced this winter. On Dec 19th the Gillespie crew decided to try our luck and hit Strawberry for some early season ice fishing. It was a good and bad idea. The lake was only 10% froze (bays) and when we drilled our first hole it was only 1 1/2 to 2 inches of ice. (stupid) Luckily we didn't have any problems, but just as luck has it the fishing was slow and the weather was terrible. We left frozen and wondering if we really knew what we were doing.

The day after X-mas Liz and I left for a weekend at our friends cabin in Lava Hot Springs. The back country boarding rocked!
Then for New Years we left again for Bear Lake and another nice warm mtn cabin. This time we snowshoed, snowmobiled and just relaxed in the sweet cabin.

With Fri being my older bro's last day in town from Cali. We decided to make it a good one. We hit the marsh for some duck hunting in the morning (and the evening before, Jer killed it bagging 3 drake mallards) without any luck. Then played some intense b-ball, and followed up with a stop by the lower Provo and some prefect weather fly fishing. It was a great evening to be on the river the temps were a remarkable at 40 degrees and our eyelets never froze once, which is crazy for Jan 2. The bit was good and in a short 1 1/2 hours Gun and Jer were able to land a handful and miss many more. In fact it was a perfect ending to a great few weeks of having my best friend home for the holidays. On Sat with the weather report of 12 inches of fresh "pow" I was back on the mtn cutting through the trees and floating on the soft Utah Powder.

I love Utah. Where else can you snowboard 13 world class resorts in a day, duck hunt, fly fish, ice fish, boat, see magical red rock formations and the whole time be the second driest state??? It has it all and a lot left over...

1 comment:

Big Hoss said...

i love the close up pic of the dog