Monday, January 26, 2009

Rainy Miserable Awesome Day

I have always been a big proponent of always having a positive attitude. No matter how crappy a situation may be I try and find the good in it. Really if you think about it, what makes something bad? Its our prospective and the way we see things. So it comes all down having a positive attitude all the time, PERIOD!
Enough of that, this past weekend has been one for the record books. I woke up Sat morning with the hope of fresh powder and untouched mountain slopes, but to my surprise I was welcomed with gray rainy skies. I was optimistic that up at Sundance the weather would be colder and the snow would be welcoming us. Once again when we got to the parking lot, Liz and I were met by a river of mud-water running down the upper lot. Crap I though! The morning was ruined at least for the moment. We left the parking lot not even getting out to face the pouring ran. The next thing I knew it I was driving past the Provo and I couldn't help but think that fishing only gets better in the ran. With that on my mind I was either going to hit the Provo or work on the ole drift boat for a few hours. So I loaded up the Jeep with tools and fishing gear and I was off. As I got to the canyon turn off it was a moment of choice. I though what the heck the boat can wait. So when I reached the Provo it was only sprinkling and I was physced to be out. I walked down the path and was greeted by 5 other groups of fishermen. Dang it was busy for a stormy day...O well I started below them and worked my way up to the hole I was wanting to fish. I was hoping to see some midges, but the longer I stayed on the river the harder the rain came. I finally reached my favorite winter midge hole and nothing was happening except for windy rain. I got into the right spot for a good drift and on my second cast Wham!!! I had a nice fish trying to pull my rod out of my hand. The fight was intense and just what I was hoping for. From the fast, strong runs I knew I was a fat rainbow. Every time I got it close to the bank it would take 20 yards of line. This must have happened 5 times before I had to switch hands to relieve my burning forearm. I couldn't believe the the fight this fish put up. As I finally got it to the bank I was surprised to see the girth it had. It was the fattest bow I had caught in a while. After that fight I started to realize that I was soaked to the bone and it was a chilly 34 degrees and the rain was not about to let up. I guess when ur focused only on catching fish you don't really notice your surroundings to much. It was a great note to end on... and a fun 2 hrs on the river.
See the rain in the pic above(look at the water)


Since Liz and I struck out at Sundance, we were determined to find fresh snow. I called Brighton and they let me know that it had been snowing all day...Done, we were headed up to go night boarding. Just as expected it was an amazing night of untouched deep powder and perfect conditions...It was by far one of my favorite boarding days of my life.



No comments: