Friday, May 30, 2008

In Search Of Gold


So Jeremy and I had been planning this trip for a long time. The plan was to make it a guys trip since Stepfanie & Ellia would be in Utah. We would have the whole Memorial Day weekend to do whatever wild, crazy, manly things we could come up with. Since this post would take me a year to write in detail. I am going to change things up a little and let the pictures do most of the story telling.

Day 1:

So we left Utah at 4 pm and arrived in Bakersfield around 1pm. Even though it was a long drive it didn't feel it. I was partnered with Greg and Mallary and the Camry. The next morning as we waited for Jer to get done with work we took a dip in the pool and visit the local fly shop. (Note: most California fishermen are stuck up fags!) We finally made it to the Kern River to find that it was at peak run off 3,000 cfs, but yet it was clear and totally fishable, at least that what we hoped. I think the locals thought we were nuts. (Fishing Report: Kern River, stay out or die!) The nice thing about the high flows was that it kept the people away and left almost the whole canyon to ourselves. We found an awesome campsite set up the tents and hammock and we were off to try our luck at a native Kern River Rainbow.
Even though we never got a picture Jer was the first to land a Kern River Rainbow. Later that night we all meet up at a nice hole and took turns catching fish. It was awesome! I hooked up, then Greg, and Mallary topped it off catching a fish left handed. Once again Jer was the fist one there so we didn't get his picture.
Day 2: The next morning I woke up right as daylight was upon us. How could I sleep when I had fish to catch and river to explore. I tried a streamer like the night before but these fish didn't seem to interested so after losing my outfit. On came the San Juan Worm and Disco Midge. First cast Fish on! I worked my way down river to a good cliff spot and started catching fish every cast. Jer meet up with me and we switched off landing fish. Nymphs was definitely more productive. I ended up catching 16 fish that morning and Jeremy around 8. It was an awesome day on the river. It instilled in me the confidence that even though it is a different state, river and new place to fish. I can still find out what to use and have an almost 20 fish day. Saturday night we took a little break from the wild side and went to a Dodgers game. The game was sweet and our seats were even sweeter! (13 row!!!!) Too bad the Dodgers lost, but the real entertainment was watching the people we went with on the bus down like 1000 beers and get a what so call "Crapped Faced". The only thing we were getting wasted on were Sunkist and Dodger Dogs. Day 3: Took us to Sequoia National Forest. We ended up trusting Jers Tom Tom (GPS) and it took us on a high mountain adventure which was supposed to be a short cut. It would of been fine, but the pavement ended and we were stuck driving on a dirt road for 27 miles in the rain with our high performance off road Toyota Camry's. I don't know how Greg felt about it. I guess they bottomed out a few times, but it turned out to be the most beautiful scenery of the trip. We were driving through clouds and the forest looked like a green lush rain forest. We finally reached our destination 2 hours latter. Which really was a little bit of a short cut. Trail of 100 Giants, all I have to say is WOW! The pictures don't give them any justice. They are the freaks of the tree world...I guess that why they only grow in groups???After being amazed it was time we find a cool place to camp for the night. We once again took a unknown trail that actually lead us to what we thought could take us to the Forks of the Kern trail head, but just as before we were let down to see the gate was really locked. It was OK we parked at Campground 2 and walked along some little creek to get away from the white trash that say at the little camping area. But we seemed to not be able to get away from the scout camp, people or the main road because after hiking for 30 mins we were at campground 3 and right next to the road. So instead of giving up and walking back to the car we kept hiking up the creek which was steep and hard, but worth ever pain. We found an area that had been inhabited by Native Americans in the past and looked and felt as if it still did. Plain and simple it was the best campsite I have ever stay at.



Some of the highlights of place were:
  1. The huge boulders and green moss that grew on them.
  2. Building the make shift rain cover and granite top table.
  3. Catching little fish in awesome pools at the bottom of waterfalls.
  4. Sleeping in my make shift hut with pine needles and leaves as my pad. (scared out of my mind from the stories the night before)
  5. Good food, Dodger Dogs, tonz of junk food and Cold Sunkist.



No comments: