Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thoughts, Goals, Plans, Places, Dreams...

So I have been thinking a lot lately about my commitment to fly fishing. For the past few years I have really lost my edge when it comes to fly fishing being my #1 past time. I have become a more rounded person and have experinced all kinds of sports due to this, but at the same time since I have saturated my time spent outdoors I feel like I am just average now at the activities I particapate in, espeically fly fishing. So like I said I have been feeling this for a while now. But now is the time I finally put my foot down and focas on time spent outdoors fly fishing and gaining knowledge in the sport.
So here are a few lists I have put together that have helped me in my fly fishing endevors:
My 2008 Fishing Goals

1. Green River 3 Day A,B,C float
2. Build my own fly rod
3. Better educated in Fly Fishing. (Little things, casting, bugs)
4. Montana Trip with Grandpa
5. South Fork Float
6. Wind Rivers
7. Catch a Muskie, Carp, and Striper on fly rod
8. Tetons Float
9. Boulder Mountains
10. Camp up on Lake X
11. Kern River- Sierras
*Uintas, Fish Lake, Current Creek, Fairview Canyon*

Future Trips-Dream Trips
1. Montana
Beaverhead (big fish)*
Big Hole*
Madison (Bows)*
Missouri
Blackfoot
2. Idaho
South Fork (Best camp-float, Dries)*
Henry’s Fork (The Challenge)*
Snake (Teton-Jackson)
Big Wood-Salmon
Blackfoot (Solitude, Cutts on dries)*
3. Wyoming
Salt*, Grey’s
Upper Green (Pinedale)
4. Green
Float A,B&C-Camp
5. Colorado
Gunnison (2nd week in June)
Frying Pan
Colorado River

Wilderness Fishing
6. Wind Rivers (Goldens)
7. Unitas (Lots of fish)*
8. Boulders (Big Brookies)
9. Yellowstone (Amazing scenery, Cutts on dries)*
10. Jackson Hole/Tetons (Tetons!!!) *
10.5. Idaho Bulls (Clearwater river system, Selway, Lochsa, St. Joe, Kelly creek, North Fork Clearwater)

Travel Trips
11. Alaska
12. Patagonia
13. Oregon-Washington (Steelhead)
14. Mexico-Caribbean (Flats, Deep Sea)
15. Canada

Still Waters
16. Strawberry (20” Cutty’s)*
17. Lake-X (Huge Fish)*
18. Fish Lake (Tradition, Splake)*
19. Lake Powell (Stripers, Bass)*
20. Pineview-Newton (Muskie)
* = Places already fished

Travis’s Fly Fishing Trip Planner

River-Lake:
Date:
Start Time:
Finish Time:
Crew:
Transportation:
Schedule:
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5

Must Have Fishing Gear
Drift Boat
Rods
Reels
Waders
Boots
Vest/Flies
Fishing License
Polarized Glasses
Net
Fly Tying Gear

Camping Gear
Food/Water
Tent
Sleeping Bag/Blanket
Pillow
Lantern
Mat
Stove
Pans
Utensils/Plates/Cups
Chairs
TP

Clothes
Lucky Fishing Hat
T-Shirts
Sweat Shirts
Coat
Shorts
Pants
Underwear
Socks
Shoes/Sandals
Rain Gear
Can’t Forget Stuff
Wallet
Head Lamp
Matches
Knife
Camera/Camcorder
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Bathroom Stuff
Portable Toilet
Movies/Mag/Book
Hammock


Quotes
“Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.” River Runs Through It

"Throughout this century I have roamed this wilderness, communing with nature, observing other creatures along with myself, merely desiring to live and let live. Because of this aloneness, I've learned to love, not only those of my own kind, but all life within a wilderness; the birds, the beasts, the trees, the flowers, and the grasses of the land. Only in wilderness, it seems, is man's love so thoroughly and completely returned, so unselfishly shared" - Finis Mitchell

1 comment:

XtremeSurveyor said...

Travis, You Freakin Rock!!!
Your Blog made my day and got me all psyched to go fishing again real soon. Thanks for letting me be a part of the "BIG FISH CLUB."
Keep up the good work and leave some for the rest of us amateurs.