Monday, May 12, 2008

Time Away From The River

So these past few weeks have been crazy. School is over, YES, but just as you know it would happen life didn't get any easier and finding time to fish didn't just appear out of a top hat. The Jeep was still on the DL and a day after graduation I was leaving with Liz down to the Caribbean for a week long cruise. (I guess that part wasn't to bad) In fact as I was snorkeling at Coki Beach in St Thomas I saw a 5 foot Baracuda and then was confronted by a school of 5 very large Tarpon. It was pretty cool to have the fish swim right past me only about 10 feet away. I wish I had my fly rod the whole trip, but that is one of the down sides to a cruise instead of staying on land. So after getting all tan and enjoying the simple life for a week. I finally had to come back to reality and face the fact that I was careless and was stuck to staying on the back roads that the scooter would take me. So trying to make the most of my situation Brett and I worked and played on my freeride bike park that I am creating in my parents backyard. It is fun practicing jumps and all kinds of other tricks. I still suck, but am getting a little more daring. I also just got nominated as Dentrix softball team coach. So that means I have to be more responsible and actually show up to every game. Dang!!! But to top off the craziness of the Liz was leaving on Thursday 3 days after our return from the cruise to Detroit to watch the Yankees play with the family. To me this was a green light signal, I had the whole weekend free to do what ever my heart desired. So first came the brainstorming stage, I thought of all the things I could do and weighted the pros and cons. After much thought I narrowed it down to The Green River, Lake X, and Turkey Hunting. My mind was made up when the Jeep wasn't ready yet and my friend Brent called me Thursday night to hit the hills after the willie Turkey's. After a weekend of hunting Turkey's I will have to admit, I'm hooked. I had a great time with Brent and even helped him bag his first bird. But as for me I got really close a few times on Saturday morning. I had three different Toms working my set up. But I wasn't ever able to get a look or clear shot at the birds. But I will never forget the huge Tom that flared up his features and strutted around the meadow like the king of the woods. So with all this time away from the river I am starting to go through withdraws and almost panic attacks to want to set the hook on a nice bow.

No comments: