Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Solo on the Provo


So, I decided enough with the hunting for a night and hit the Provo for what I consider a for sure bet on success. When I approched the river I noticed that it was still running higher than usual for this time of year and a bit off colored. (probably due to the Dam construction) As was about to cross the river in preperation to get to my favorite hole. I saw a couple good rises in the run in front of me. So like any die hard dry flyer would do, I tied on an X Caddis and an emerger and tried my luck. I went 1 for 4 in that hole and was pretty upset with my hook sets. So as the darkness settled in. I decided I better get to my hole and see if I could find any Caddis rising fools. As I arrived there was no sign of a hatch or let alone a fish. So I took some time and retied my outfit with 4x floro instead of the weak 6x mono, just incase I got a big one on! I'm glad I did because on my first cast I missed a nice fish that spit the hook and on my second I hooked up with a heavy 20-21inch Brown. It fought really hard and after a couple hard runs came to the shore. Man they eat good at Hoovers! The rest of the night was one of my worst outings this year for hook ups and landed fish. I would hook them for a second or miss the fish every time one would come up for my dries and if they actually were on, I somehow managed to lose everyone before it was close to the shore. (I missed about 10 good fish) Oh well, I guess all this worthless hunting is starting to take a toll on my fishing skills. One other side note, fishing at night alone is dang scary, I mean really scary. I totally phyce myself out everytime and start to hear things and think I am going to be eaten by a Bear or Cougar and the headlamp it doesn't really help...

No comments: