Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Caddis Their Stupid, But Their Part Of My Life"


The Perfect Fly Placement and Some Wonder Why They Lose So Many Fish?


So I texted Brent to see if he wanted to hit the Provo for a quick Caddis run and to my surprise he had already been planning on going, but needed a ride to the river. So I picked him up and as we waited for his friend Shawn at the river I tied up a couple quick Gillespie's Killer Caddis, which was a good call. We all tied on our Caddis and waited for the sun to disappear under the Rockies. As the sun left and the shadows of the eveing feel upon us we started noticing the occasional quick rise of a trout picking off emerging Caddis. (and a couple high jumpers too) This is my favorite time of the night it. Its as if all life that was in fear of the suns unprotective light can now emerge from the depths and roam free under the nights protective shadow. The river comes alive with the emergerance of Caddis, Midges, Mesitqos, and the Trout that are feeding on them. You also have the surrounding animals that were in hiding, come down to the water for a quick drink.
This night like many others at Hoover was a success from the start. We were able to get the good holes even though there were people all around. I fished a #12 Tan Para Caddis with my Killer Caddis trailing 3' behind. (I make it shorter as it gets darker) This was the go to set up as I caught and released several large Browns and Rainbows throughout the evening. (All landed fish were on the KC) Brent and Shawn were having equal success as Brent coached Shawn into a very nice Rainbow and they both missed plenty of other takers that just spit the hook. "DANG IT, I MISSED HIM" (You know the feeling) The highlight of the night for me was the largest Rainbow I had hooked out of Hoovers. It hooked up just feet away and went on a 50 yard torpedo run, before swimming upstream and back to where I could land it. It was a beautiful colored male, about 20" and shaped like a football. It totally made my night!!! PS Did I mentioned how dang hard it is to take a pic of yourself while holding a big fish...You'll seeWe topped of the outing with a late night run to McDo for a little Chicken on a bun. So why do I fish the Caddis Hatch? You won't understand until you try it yourself...

No comments: