Monday, September 29, 2008

Beginners Luck And The Caddis

So after a great morning out at the Berry, I didn't think that things would get any better for the day...But was I wrong. After talking fishing at work Jeff, Dave and myself decided that a run to the Provo was much needed to get out our Trout envy out. So the plan was set and all we needed now was to make it down to the river in search of big fish rising to very late season Caddis flies. I still am amazed that we are even seeing Caddis this late in the year. The latest I have fished Caddis on the Provo before this year was August. It truly is amazing that fish are still rising to these few bugs that are still hanging around. On this outing I had Gunner, Jeff and his son Griff. (Dave couldn't make it) I have to admit, I was pretty nervous as we approached the river...I didn't have a clue if the Caddis were even still around(and I had talked it up), but as we walked down the path to our hole. I noticed a few Caddis flying around and that made me feel a little relief. Then as we made our way down the steep hill, through the tress and into Hoovers hole we were greeted by a splashing Trout, which made us all excited. We quickly tied on our outfits and right off the bat Griff on his 4th cast ever with a fly rod hooked into a nice 15-17 inch Brown on his Para Adams. With his excitement he poled the fish right out of the water and just like that it spit the hook. As the sun went down and night fell upon us Jeff got into a few nice fish, but the as luck has it they some how eluded his Caddis flies and swam free for another day. (That's fly fishing) Gunner also hooked up but was never able to bring one to the net. The rest of the night was owned by the beginner himself. Griff hooked up again with a nice 14 inch Brown which he brought to hand for a quick release. But the highlight of the outing was when Griff hooked up for his third time of the night. I guess third times the charm...This time he said with a shaky high voice "I got another one and he is big" He fought the huge Rainbow as it made multiple runs and leaps. Finally as the large fish tired his brought it to the the shore like a seasoned veteran fly fisherman. The Rainbow was a nice 18-19 inch fish that was fat as a pig. It was an amazing experience to see father and son so excited as they gazed at their trophy. It's experiences like these that make me realize why I am a fly fisherman and what it does not only for myself, but for all those I fish with. It is memories like these, we share that build friendships that last a lifetime...We all shared in the success that night...What beginners luck

No comments: