Friday, September 19, 2008

September Must Be A Fishing Month

I have never done so much fishing in September before. This year has been one outing after another and it has let up this month either. September started out down in the Red Rock Cliffs country of Lake Powell in search of Striper boils, Smallie's on crawdads and anything that would take the bread fly. This years fishing at Powell was on the slow side, but the glassy wakeboarding water more than made up for the lack of fish. It was a great trip like always!!!

For the past week I have been fishing the Provo a lot. In fact I have been there 3 times (Tues 16th, 18th and Fri 19th on Middle) already this week and plan on going again tonight for some Caddis action. On Tues night I noticed that the fish were rising on the west bank, so I changed sides and caught a few and missed a lot. (I was out by 8:30pm) Thurs night was a ton of fun fishing with some great friends. It was the first time I was able to fly fish with my great friend "Elder" Brandon Carter. We had talked about fishing together while we were serving a mission in the Caribbean, but never found the time until now. As for the fishing it seemed like it was going to be fast when Carter missed one on his first cast and I hooked up on my second. The hatch didn't come on like we hoped, but we all managed to catch a few fish between the misses. (Rick was rocking the Bows) The highlight of the trip was Carters crazy Bat hookup. He had mentioned beforehand that it would be cool to catch a Bat, but as unbelievable as it is he hooked one mid-air as he was retrieving his backcast. It was the perfect crisp fall night that all true Caddis fishermen would hope for. (Rising Trout, friends, and a challenge)
Today I woke up restless knowing that I had until 2 pm to do whatever I wanted. I really debated about hitting the Weber, but decided against it in favor of the coveted Middle Provo. Today I wanted to fish Hoppers and only Hoppers. So after a few fish on nymphs in the morning I switched to a tan Hopper and busted the banks. It was hard work, but I was rewarded just as I hoped.
(Porcupine trying to steal my hole)
September to me is the best time of year to be in the outdoors. The rocky mountains come alive with a breath of crisp mountain air. The mountains show their true beauty as the leaves change into their colorful natural state. As I walked the banks I couldn't help but stop and think of how lucky I am to live in such a magical place. The inter feelings I get when I'm in the mountains are overwhelming, it brings out who I really am and where I come from.

No comments: