Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Birthday Weekend

Fox Hunting with Carter and friend...With are bad shooting, we let the wilie fox go!


So this past weekend was pretty much perfect! The weather was unreal for this time of year and the fishing lets just say fast. What more can you ask for when it is your favorite weekend of the year. So it started out on Friday morning up on the Middle Provo. I was fishing with Mallary and Gunner in hopes of a pre-spawn or some little BWO's. As the morning temps rose from 17 degrees so did the fishing. By 10:30am we had our first hook up! I was in a battle against a nice 22 inch Brown that had taken my little #22 WD-40. I fought the fish until it finally tired and decided to come to shore. But just as you know it he didn't want to stick around for a pic and spit the tiny hook as I was trying to pick him up, Oh well! He was a nice dark colored, hooked jaw male that would have made a sick pic, but like I said before, oh well. (I'm still a little mad) The rest of the day was taken over by the emergence of BWO's that were captivating the fish all over in our hole that we were fishing. There must have been over 100 fish working the whole pool in front of us. Mallary managed to hook and quick release a little brown before she had to jet at 11:30am. Gunner and I stayed for another hour and had a blast hooking/missing a handful of average sized browns. It was awesome to see so many fish and know exactly what to use. I wish we could of stayed longer, but work was calling and I had to make an appearance. Saturday was a little bit of a different story I still woke up at 6:30am, but it was for a late season Mt Bike trip up Payson Canyon. We rode hard and had a great time tackling the steep trails of Blackhawk, Bennies Creek, Shram, Pipeline and what ever other trails we connected to to reach the bottom. In all we rode close to 25 miles worth of trails before Noon. (Two shuttles) When I got home Liz told new I shouldn't waste such a perfect Saturday watching the BYU game, so with that incentive I was packing my fishing gear and heading up Provo Canyon in search for some more technical BWO fishing. I reached the Lower Provo about 2 pm and from up above I spotted a few little rises. (I fished from the big lot to the beef jerky eddy) That afternoon the fish never committed to the bugs like they did on the Middle. However the few that I saw rising I could zero in on and get a take 90% of the time. I ended up having a 20 fish afternoon that day on either fish I would spot rising or by simply fishing the riffles with my dry and dropper set up. I caught 95% of my fish on a #22 tung WD-40. I nymphed for about 20 mins before I left and hooked up twice with nice healthy Browns that were pretty much twins at 17 inches. It was a great afternoon to be on the Lower Provo. I only saw a few fishermen and it seemed more like a weekday. The only thing I could of done away with was the hard wind that blew all afternoon. But with 65* weather on the 25th of October, I can't complain.

Monday was my annual Birthday fishing trip with Liz. Almost every year for the past 5 years I have gone fishing with Liz on what every local stillwater I choose for my birthday. In past years it has always been eat at the Hub Cafe then hit Strawberry. This year I decide to try my luck at the X. I knew that this would be a gamble, but I wanted the challenge and a chance at a huge fish. And you know what that is just what I got! We didn't get to the X until around 10 am, but It was fine because with the bright, windless day I couldn't get anything to commit. Unlit the wind picked up around 12pm. I finally started getting a few good hits with my streamers and Chronomids. Then I hooked up good with a monster that ran and never looked back. I finally decided to switch to a deep AP Emerger and Gray Scud set up and on the second cast as I was dragging the bottom at 14 ft, I felt some resistance on my retrieve. I thought moss, but then it moved to the right and I instantly set the hook and had a big fish on! I was only using 6x tippet, so I gently fought the fish until it made my forearm burn and to my amazement after 4 very hard runs I finally coached the 24 1/2 inch Tiger trout to my net. I estimated its weight between 5-6 pounds. (Freaking fatty) After that fish nothing else matter. I had accomplished the what I set out to do and I was as happy as a birthday boy could be. Its funny to think that I was satisfied with only one netted fish, but at the X one fish landed on this technical lake makes up for 100 fish landed any where else in the state. Plus they are hogs and the hardest fighters!

1 comment:

Big Hoss said...

Dude! It sounds like you had a blast. We need to get together soon to talk about making some money off our fishing and outdoor blogs. Aaron and I are working with a guy on optimizing the frenzy blog and with the way that you write and all the reports and blog post you have done on your blog and the post on the frenzy blog we can make enough money to paid for our frenzy trips.