Friday, October 3, 2008

First Asent

My whole life I have looked with amazement at the giant mountain that overshadows my home in Utah Valley. Mt. Timpanogos stands as much more than a mountain to me, it is a symbol of protection and beauty. I have always wanted to hike to its tall peaks, but never was able to find the time to do so. So with one more day of good weather in the forecast, before snow covers its peaks for the year, I decided it was now or never. I talked my little sister into being my tour guide for the trip and we were set to meet at 4:30 am and start the hike at 5:00 am.

The hike to the summit wasn't just a lazy walk in the park. The trail is steep and the sharpe rocks are very unforgiving, throw in the 11,700 ft of elevation and my lungs felt like exploding like an A-bomb!

Once we reached the Summit at 8:24 am. I was overcome with accomplishment and joy. I had finally conquered the mountain that I loved and respected so much. It was a great feeling, but the cold thin morning air was definitely and awakening experience. After a quick snack and some pics we were back on the trail and on our way back down the Mtn.
This time we really got to see the real beauty of the seasons. The smaller Mtns surrounding Timpanogos we painted yellows, reds, oranges, and all other fall colors. As we dropped out back into the tree line we were meet by a huge bowl that looked like we were walking the frozen Tundra of Denali and just pasted there we enter the painted forest where bright colors are the norm. So on this first ascend up Timpanogos, I learned a deeper appreciation for the shire spender of a Giant mountain. I also learned that it isn't the just the beauty of the hike that made the trip, but it was the conversation and stories that Mallary and I shared that fullfilled and strenghtened our love and friendship that made the trip.

I will be there again next year, FOR SURE!

No comments: