Friday, October 31, 2008

Off Roading, Brookies and Browns



With a free Friday morning to do whatever I pleased. I was having the hardest time deciding on a location to fit my desires. Its what I was thinking when I feel asleep and the first thing on my mind when I woke up at 6 am. I even sat in bed tossing and turning until I decided, I had better just go and where ever I end up will be better than working. It came down to the Price, Provo and AF. With a left hand turn the decision was made to chase the elusive high country Artic Grayling and Beautiful Brook Trout of Silver Lake Flat.

I sent in the coordinates on the GPS and was off. The narrow dirt road leading up to the lake was full of rocks and everything my Jeep loves to climb. As I reached the lake I was surprised to find that it was as low as I have ever scene it. The lake was only a 1/3 full, due to reconstruction on the dam. I decided to try the inlet which in most unfamiliar lakes will produce. To my surprise as I was walking down to the water I could see a few rises in the early morning mist. I tied on a #20 Para Adams and an Orange Griffin Gnat. My first cast produced a nice take, but the fish must have been joking. I missed about 5 fish in a row and thought "Man, what am I doing wrong? Maybe they are Grayling with their small mouths???" So I decided to try the "God Save the King" Technique. It where you save God Save the King before you set the hook. It must have worked because for the next hour and half I hooked and release about 90% of my fish. The Brookies have their fall colors and were remarkable. I left and decided to hit Tibble Fork to see if the Browns were up in the river. The spawn was on and the Browns were everywhere. I hooked up with a handful of fish and decided I had had my share of fish for the day. (That's a great feeling for fly fishermen) Didn't see and Graylin, but the Brookies and Browns were enough to feel my cup and restore my confidence.

No comments: