Monday, December 8, 2008

Rainbow Deprived (Part 3)


Saturday brought a new light and an opportunity to try a new location. I had decided on the Weber River above Echo, but as I was about past the Daniels turnoff, I decided to cutt down the x-mas tree first and fish the Provo as it empties into Deer Creek for running Bows. After a two hour detour trying to find the perfect tree, the tree was on the Jeep

and the 12 degree temp was now around 25* I fished the upper water first with only a 17' brown, so I moved lower and got into a nice little side stream and finally got into the red striped rainbows I was dreaming about.

After a couple hours of fun I cruised down to meet Jeff, Grif and John. We had decided earlier to meet at 12pm and go form there. I talked them into hitting my productive little stream. The situation had changed dramatically in just a day. With it being Sat. the river had already been hitt hard all morning and the fish still had sore lips. Also there were too many fisherman for such a small stream, but we delt with what we had and between the four of us still managed to catch and release over 20 bows. As the sun disappeared behind Timp. our day came to and end on this stream.

I dropped off Jeff and Grif and headed straight for my brown honey hole to see if they were still there in numbers. As I approached my hole I was greeted by high flying browns and I knew that the day would end just right. In the last 30 mins of daylight I caught 4 browns over 17', but it was my last fish that sealed the deal.

It was a picture perfect brown, measuring 20'. It was dark, but yet golden yellow.

As I released the beautiful fish to be caught again, I knew my day was complete. I walked straight out of the river and back to reality. I had left my house at 6am and returned at 6 pm without a single meal or break to relax. As I was thinking on my 15 min drive home, I couldn't help think about what I had accomplished in my days outing. I had done everything I set out to do and in the process gained a deeper understanding of God, life, career, goals, friendship and nature all while fly fishing. Some people can't beleive I take fly fishing to the extreme levels that I do, but until they feel and experience what I have. I will still laugh.
I am rainbow deprived

No comments: