Monday, November 3, 2008

So So Green!


All my mom wanted for her birthday was to float the Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam. The only issue standing in our way was the chance that the weather would be terrible. There was a cold, cold front moving in for the weekend, but to our luck, it held out and allow us to fish the beautiful calm before the storm. In fact I couldn't believe it was November 1st. It was sunny and t-shirt weather pretty much all day. As for the fishing it was just as hot!!! We stopped at one of my favorite runs, so we could all hook up before we got too far down the river. This run produced fish after fish and never really let up.




After we each had landed a handful for fish. Mal and I decided just two more casts at a big dark shadow that I thought was about a 20 inch Brown. My first cast was unsuccessful, but hooked a little Bow. Mal's cast was right on target, hook set, big fish on! Instantly it took off for the safety of the faster deeper water. She fought it hard for what seemed like forever leaping out of the water twice, but just as wise Browns do. (This one I estimate around 22-23 inches) It took one last run that stole her flies and here heart. As she sat on the bank, sick to her stomach. I could help feel happy in a way that my little sister has become a top notch Fly Fisherwomen. (She has put the books aside and is now focused on learning and growing in this royal sport)







After that we fished down the rest of the A section stopping only a few times to land a fish or eat some lunch. For the water being so cold and supposedly putting the fish in their winter mood. It sure was constant in our catch rate. We seemed to hookup on a reg basis on deep nymphs. (GBug and WD-40's) My favorite part of this outing was our stop to fish tiny BWO's to shallow rising trout.(Size 24) Mal and I each took turns casting at these feeding fish. I hooked up first with a nice 16' Bow and then Mal fallowed shortly after with its twin. (She hooked it on the 4th take) I really have grown to love technical. To me it is the hardest and most frustrating fishing that I love the best. It's fun to have all odds against you, but still come out on top ever once and a while. (It makes the success really worth it)




We reached the little hole at dark and was the last boat on the water, where we were greeted by Dad and Addie and a hot dinner. It was an awesome birthday for my mom loved ever bit of it. It was awesome having her float with us. We had a professional photographer and an awesome shoreline lunch. In all it was an amazing day on one of the best river in the world.

No comments: