Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Browns, Browns, Browns and More Browns!

I left work at 3pm and headed straight for the Provo. I always have my fishing gear in the back of the Jeep so I don't waste any unnecessary time. It stinks, but the smell of wet waders and boots is just a small price to pay to play longer. Plus its a Jeep...its supposed to look and smell like the mountains...Right! As I reached my location for the evening fishing I was instantly surprised to find I had the river to myself. (The payoff for fishing weekdays, Tues) I put my wader on over my work pants and my coat over my collared shirt. As I reached the battle ground, my eyes were wondering for the first sign of active fish. I spotted my first run and it seemed very fishy. After a tree, I instantly was hooked up with a scrappy Brown, that gave me more than Rocky.


That fish must of been a sign of good things to come...because my next two casts produced great strikes and on the third I hooked up with one of the meanest looking male Browns I have landed all year.


I decided to switch spots and give the fish in that run a chance to regroup. I decided to fish a run that I knew should produce, but didn't the last time out. This time I was going to be smarter. I got on the right side of the stream where I could make a good long cast and have the my flies dead drift over about 50 feet of water. The run went from 2-3 feet riffles to a gradually ledge that put the big fish deep enough to stay out of harms way. After a couple fish. I was able to dial them into the ledge that was very promising for a big fish.






My next cast I put my flies in the prefect spot and just like clockwork, as my flies cleared the ledge, my indicator shot down and I was hooked up with a fish that leaped out of the water. At the time I didn't realized its size, but as it hunkered down in the deep run, I knew I was in for a fight. After 5 strong runs and a sore forearm I was able to get the magnificent Brown in hand. It had all the characteristics of a wise large Brown. Its coloration was amazing, it was unlike many Browns I have scene. It had big dark spot on its back, followed by blue/red spots, and a distinct bluish-gold body. It was the fish I have been after and a true prise for any fishermen. A quick measurement put the Brown at 22 1/2 inches.



After a fish like that I could have been skunked and I wouldn't of cared...But it turned out almost to good to be true. In the next 3 casts I hooked up and landed 3 Browns that would all break the 18 inch mark...


By this time I almost felt I had had may share, but one last cast into the dark night produced once again a Brown in the 19 inch class. It was an incredible night and one that I will some not forget. Man am I a lucky man to have such an amazing river only 15 mins form my door step.



No comments: