Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chapter 2: The Frenzy Went Big in 09...Best BIG Fish Stories

It isn't an understatement to say that this year we went BIG on the Frenzy. When I say big, I mean fish caught that brake the famed 20 inch trout mark or that came really close. But who cares because catching a trout that size is just cool, if it has an awesome story...Plus it grows an inch ever time it is told anyway. I'm not going to go into too much of an overall write up because I want to share each story as they are all very unique and just down right amazing experiences.



On Top At Daniels
We Started the trip with a little stop-by at Daniels Res. (Hoss's Idea) The plan was to fish for about 30 mins and see if we could get at least one good fish before we got to Rexburg and Rainbow Lake. My first thought was it was going to be tough to hook up from the shore with not much cover and not much room for a back cast. As I worked down the dam I noticed in the far corner some rising fish and a big fallen tree in the lake. From up high I could see a nice bow working on the edge of the fallen tree. I casted my bugger in front of it and just like a shallow wise fish it gave me the fin and was gone. After the wind died a little I noticed some gulpers about 20 yrds in front of me. Knowing it was already time to go and everyone was at the truck. I dropped my gear and ran to the truck to get my floating line set up. I told them I might have them figured out and ran the 400 yrds back to my spot. On the first cast with my midges a big 20 inch bow grabbed my emerger and I was into my backing within seconds. After getting my line over the fallen tree and running to the far corner of the dam I was able to bring the beautiful bow to the shore on 6X tippet. It was a great way to start off the Frenzy!


Chubbs Monster
As Hancey, Hoss and I approached a wet, cold Chubbs on the South Fork. He didn't say hi, but asked us in a weird voice "Hey you guys caught any big fish?" I don't no if we were shocked by the question or what, but we all kinda mumble yeah, we've done ok. Then he said "well I have" as he showed us his monster cutt before releasing it. We measured the Cutt to be a true 23.5 inches with a 12 inch girth and head the size of Jay Leno's. It was a true monster of a Cutthroat and the largest Fine Spotted I have ever scene. The Story behind this fish is that Chubbs had spotted a nice gravel bar behind some fallen pine trees. As he approached the hole he saw this fish flash. After switching set ups the toad hit a glow bug and the fight was on. Nice Fish Chubbs you deserved it bro.


Pardon the Interuption
Fishing Hebgen Lake with Mikey and Jordan we found ourselves drifting across a big bay in the middle of the day. Nothing much was happening, so Jordan started to interview me for the film we were shooting. As I was sitting on my butt with my legs hanging over the side of the drift boat trying to explain why fishing is important to life. In mid sentence I felt this jolt through my hands and down my rod. Almost losing my rod, I set the hook and and fought what ended up being my largest Hebgen Trout ever. The nice male Brown measured 21inches and was well worth the interruption.



Chonomid Lake-I mean Hebgen Lake
When we got to Hebgen we were hoping to fish the famed ice-out cruising trout with chronomids, but not much was happening on top, so we all drifted buggers until evening when the hatch was so thick we were eating as much as the fish. We still managed to pull out some pigs








Chubbs Bugger Bow and Jacks Emerger Madness



Hoss's Big Brown Caught in the Shallows





20 inch Bow 9 inch Fly
In Search for a Tiger Musky I threw on an over sized Perch Fly as the sunset faded and darkness settled on us. I didn't have any other strikes until my last cast of the day. I thought I had a nice bass until I tried to pull it into the boat and I couldn't lift it. After netting it I saw it was a trout and a nice surprise with the big fly dangling in it face.

Dave's Stoned Brown
It wasn't the largest, but I really liked this picture, so its in... Nice Pic Hoss

Madison Twins: A Story of Unwanted Water
There must have been 5 or more guys who walked right pasted a little back eddied that held 15 or more big hungry rainbows. It wasn't there fault the fish were hard to spot and it wasn't the best run in the area. (At least from the looks of it) Lucky for me, I took a good long look at the run and decided I would give it a shot. On the first cast I was hooked up, but lost the fish. After that the picky bows rejected my offerings. I got unto a better angle and switched to smaller midges (#20 Leroy Special) w/out an indicator. Within two casts I was hooked up with and landed 21 & 20 inch bows. My largest Madison bows to date...



Fat Buck 21 incher


Little Bro 20



Hoss's Madison Surprise
Hoss found his own secret run behind a nice rock where the bows were stacked up. He landed this nice bow on camera. Shortly after hooking himself and face planting going after one of Dave's fish.


Henry's Lake Opener
There's not much to say about this except that we caught and release a lot of big nice Cutthroats that day out of our boats and on the dock as we left. Here are a few of the 20+ers that we caught that on the opener.






"Just One Cast"
So After fishing all morning at Henry's we decided to take a break and get some grub at the cabin. Talking to Dave about the fish we caught, we decided we would stop by Henry's on the way out to Victor, since they left early and hit the Madison and weren't able to catch a HL Cutt. Dave, Hoss and I set out to catch a couple fish for them and be on our way. Since we only had 2 poles with us, I just hung out until I couldn't take it any longer. I asked Dave if I could just have one cast. He said sure since they had kind of stopped biting. I cast out, strip, strip, take, set. The water flew everywhere. This big cutt was mad and he showed it. After a splashy fight I landed this hog of a Henry's Lake Hybrid. (I didn't measure it but I would have to say it was around 22-24 inches) It was a dream come true and the one thing I wanted to do this trip. I gave Dave back his rod and said sorry about that.


Jake's Stripping Bow
I don't have a story to this except that he caught it on a big ugly articulated streamer on the South Fork on a rainy overcast day. Sweet Fish Jake!




Night Fishing
Caught out of Chubbs Victor house pond. Chubbs first caught Rudy in the eye lid then landed this big 22 inch cutt to finish off the night.


A Float to Remember
Dave and Mikey floated together from Veron to Chester on the Henry's Fork. When the rest of us were catching average bows these guys were rassling some beautiful HF bows. Mikey said this was his trip highlight.





Hoss's Hog



Dr G vs Mr Brown
You know there are those stories that get told over and over again, but they never seem to get old or lose their appeal. Well this is one of them. It all started on a little known stretch of the Henry's Fork that the locals call "Bubbleland". The water was raging almost three times it's natural flow and to top it off it was as brown as chocolate milk. The final obstacle was the wind. It seemed to be jealous of the raging river and added it own rage. I remember saying to myself, why are we wasting our time when there are some many other places close by. Since the main river was basically unfishable. I focused my attention to a smaller tributary that looked at least fishable. After catching a white fish and a giant sucker in the only fishable water. I decided that I would head back to a spot that I had wanted to go to earlier but was taken, by Dave and Hoss when we started. Mikey, Dave and I got there about the same time. I decided to take the lower run and Mikey the upper. After a couple casts I hooked up with a 4 inch little brown that I didn't even know I had until it was lanched on my back cast. (Top pic) The next cast Dave said "Get it out to the middle seem" It took me a couple shadow cast with the wind, but it was in the perfect spot. As my indicator drifted by me I noticed a twitch, my instinks set in and I set the hook. I felt presure but wasn't for sure what it was. Then it gave that glorious head shake and I knew I had a fish! It didn't do much at first except move back in forth in the fast run. I knew it was large, but didn't know if it was another sucker. As I put more preasure on the fish it took off like a Christmas sale at Wal-Mart. I remember thinking no way is it a sucker its way to fast, more like a bow. It ran straight up stream trying to lose me under the diversion dam than across and finally it gave me a chance to have some control, but it didn't last long. It was wise and it knew what it was doing. It wizzed by me and straight down stream in the main current. I'll I remember thinking is I am going to get spooled. After 50 yards into my backing, I said to Dave we have to chase him. As we ran after the fish we had to cross the fast run and luckily Dave was there to keep me balance or I would of been a goner for sure. I'll I could think as I was running was try and stop the fish before it is to late. So I tried one of the oldest tricks in the book. I released line in hopes the fish would think he was free and swim back up the current. It worked long enough to make up the 100 yrds of backing and get back up some of the fly line. As I applied presure once more to make sure it was still there. It went on another 50 yrd run and about 20 ft from haunting my dreams forever. I told Dave you have to get behind it. So as the athlete he is, he jumped over logs and rocks and got into our last poistion to net the oversized fish. When he saw it for the first time he yelled in excitement and I knew it for sure wasn't a sucker. But then I started to shake and the presure was so tense I was shaking from head to toe. Dave yelled "You got to get it over 5 ft" I said ok and started walking to the side. When it was finally close enough Dave reached out and netted it on the first attempt! It was over! It was like a worldseries game 7 and the Mets hit a walk off home run. Everyone yelled with excitement. Which brought everyone on the river over to see what all the excitement was about. It was truly one of the finest feets I have ever witnessed and experienced in my life.
Everyone was living in that one moment and was so excited to be part of it. My Brown measured out to be 25 inches and between 7-8 pounds. As I poped the hot pink san jaun out of its mouth I stopped and thought "This is what fly fishing is all about".





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sad that I did not catch one fish big enough for the spotlight. That will never happen again!!

Anonymous said...

I can't remember a Frenzy when so many "PIGS" were pulled from the waters, pretty cherry!

Mal and Greg said...

Trav those pics are awesome. and great stories. Sounded like the trip of a life time! great job and way to fish!!! Those buggers are flipping huge!!!