Saturday, May 9, 2009

I Spey Strawberry



I woke up Sat morning to the sound of rain beating against my window. The first thing that popped into my head was BWOs. So I got up and mentally planned out my day as I got my warm clothes put together. I couldn't help wish I was on my way to the green, but the extra sleep and The Middle would fit the mold just fine. After a trip to The King and Sportsman's for a new rain jacket, I was on my way. The drive up Provo canyon wasn't very promising. The LP was running high and cloudy, giving me second guesses on my choice of location. As I approached the Charleston turn off I couldn't do it, I had talked myself into making the extra drive just to see if there was any open water at Strawberry. (I also thought if there wasn't, I would still be able to make it back in time for the bwo hatch) The drive to Strawberry was wet and that turned into snow and ice. I watched as my gauge turned from 47* to 22* in the matter of 10 miles. When I finally reached my destination, I was stoked to see the gamble paid off big time. I had hit "Ice Off" just right! As I was getting ready, I was greeted by another fishermen that was cursing the crappy conditions and was leaving because of the thick slush that covered any open water. "You can't get your flies through it" he said at least 10 times to me. "Good luck, you'll need it" he said. I took that as a challenge and was on my way to the limited open water. He was right the slush was thick, due to the snow that was falling, but it was totally fishable with the right set up. For me the right set up was a 9 ft leader (with a couple weights placed 2 ft apart) with heavily weighted Sex Dungeon. The fly would brake through the slush and the fine tippet would cut through the slush allowing it to stay below and not get pulled to the surface where the fly line was. Within a couple cast, I felt some pressure and thought crap, a snag! As I pulled the line tight, it moved and then took off like a bullet under the safety of the ice. I yelled out in hopes that the negative fishermen could here me on his way back home. It was done! I had met the challenge with a beautiful 23-24 inch Cutthroat. After warming up, I continued to pound the ice line getting hookups and misses on a continual basis. The weather finally decided to give me some relief and with a little wind and rain the slush monster was gone and for about 45 mins the sun emerged and gave me some much needed warmth. In all it was an amazing outing. The fish were big and healthy and I was virtually alone all day. So who would have thought that a BWO hatch could be so good!












































2 comments:

mike doughty said...

damn that looks cold! great fish

XStream said...

Dude it was! I even broke out the gloves, which I hate wearing. I ran up the hill side at least ten times trying to keep the body heat up. But those crappy days are always the best for big fish