Monday, May 11, 2009

The Wife, The Green and The Rainbows

I go fishing a lot. Most of the time I fish I'm solo. Its usually easier and it gives me a chance to practice my own skills instead helping develop others all the time. And just maybe my long hours in the coldest crappiest conditions don't excite too many people either. There are times when I am the luckiest man in the world and my beautiful wife joins me for a day on the river. (That gives me an idea about my next blog rant, Fishing with Girls, Wives, etc...) In this particular case Liz and I made a deal. If I worked out and ate healthy with her all week, she would come fishing with me on Sat. I didn't even second guess myself. That Monday I was already planning on hitting the Green or the Berry if the ice was still around for the weekend. As the weekend grew near the Green was looking hard to beat. So on Sat morning we packed up the Jeep and headed northeast in search of hopefully some BWOs, Midges and most importantly some good quality time together. There is something special about going on trips with Liz, the lunches are always 100 times better, plus she makes the experience fun and alive. (She is that kind of person) As we got to the river around 10am I was shocked to see a half full parking lot, I guess the economy is even affecting some peoples time on the water. Today's fishing trip was going to be a simple easy going outing, but as we started our float I notice a couple fish rising across the stream. Better go see what going on I though, as I finally got over to the opposite side of the river I notice fish scattering everywhere. I said in an excited voice "Liz check out how many fish there are in this run" I think she was shocked to see so many fish in such a small area.

After anchoring the boat my first couple casts produced hit and misses on a dry-dropper rig. After a little thought, I decided to go with what I knew wouldn't spoke them, but would for sure produce some fish, at least I hoped. And that it did!!! It was the right set up for the right time of the year, for the right spooky fish. In fact I caught fish after fish, Liz joined in and reeled in a nice bow too. It was red hot fishing for bright colored wild Rainbows.





After a dozen or so 16-18 inchers I decided to target some of the larger fish I could see. The first was a very dark shadow about 20 ft in front of the boat. On my first cast to it, I noticed it followed my flies and when it turned back upstream they were gone. Set the hook I thought. I lifted what felt like a 30 pound anchor and the fight was on! This fish was wise and freakin fast, the old dark bow fought until he had had enough and gave us one good pass to bring him to the net. WOW, Its size grew 5 inches when he was in the net. It was the darkest steelhead like rainbow I had ever scene caught on the green. We nick named it the freak.



With one big fish to net I was back glassing the water for another. After a couple smaller fish, I spotted what I though was a sunken log in front of a big rock, until it moved after a something and returned in its feeding lane 50+ ft from us. My first cast was too short, but my second cast was right on the money. My line went tight and the water tossed like killer whale in the shallows. I had a huge fish on and I knew it. Luckily it went in front of the rock on a 100 ft run downstream and not behind. After letting up on the pressure the big beast turned and came straight back up stream and right pass the boat giving me a look and doubling the stress on another nail biting run. With only 6X on I didn't want to do anything stupid, so I took my time and wore the beast down until I finally got him to the surface. Liz reached out with the long net, but the beast wasn't done. 5 other attempts and I couldn't pull him up to the surface so Liz could net him. Finally I pulled a little harder and SNAP. Just kidding!!! Its a happy story. Finally I pulled a little harder and Liz got the net underneath him and in the boat. I was speechless...It was the largest wild rainbow I had ever caught on the green and prefect in every way. It was a magical time to share such an amazing experience with my wife and one we won't both live down for a long time.



It was this Big!



We could have stayed in that area and caught fish all day, but with two hours of non-stop fish we decided to move in search of other fish and a new scenery.


The rest of the float was was as I had planned, simple, easy going with a fish or two in each area I decided to get out and fish. I was hoping for a good hatch, but with the constant breeze and bright sun it just didn't happen, until the sun went down and we were just about off the river. Oh well, next time I'll stay out past dark and just kill them, but this time it wasn't about the fishing it was about spending time with my real true love, Liz.



















Waking up at 5am calls for a mid day nap on the water.






Why do you think my last name is GILLespie

So made the rules about throwing and rolling rock at people and lesbows? Just wonderin

6 comments:

mike doughty said...

those are some real nice 'bows'

dawheelers said...

Sometimes life doesn't get any better!
Great pics and nice fish.

Blog oF Brown said...

wow. I really wished we could've gone with. I'm excited though, cause I'm preparing to get myself back into fly fishing. I was the vice president of the fly fishing club remember!

Blog oF Brown said...

you're blog rocks by the way. It's inspiring!

XStream said...

Its true! As the former Pres your job as vice pres is to comeout fishing with me at least 10 times this summer/fall...Plus we can have the wives hangout while we rip some lips...But Seriously in about a month we'll be about to start fishing after into the night for some pigs on the Provo.

XStream said...

WOW, let me try that again...But Seriously in about a month we'll be able to start fishing after work(7ish)into the night for some pigs on the Provo. It one of my favorite hatches and every year it produces a couple slabs.
Plus we need to take the boat out, 4 years and you have never been on it once!!!